Fw: [lbo-talk] The curse of literacy

Gary? sladeg at verizon.net
Tue Jul 20 21:20:08 PDT 2004

Bill Bartlett wrote:

> Well a racist isn't much brighter than that,
> they have to be kept on a rein too, until they develop the human
> capacity to consider the rights of others.

I don't think old Winnie Churchill was a Clydesdale. I grew up in a time of 'Enoch' the epithet and that man was certainly no idiot. The blatant racist speech of the redneck is obvious, easily identified and of little import. Look at the way language was used to guide the populace to war, elements of racism yes but far wider than that. The real damage is done by the 'grey' speech not quite black and white, some hint of truth, just enough to mislead.

from Dubya 17 march 2003 [We are now acting because the risks of inaction would be far greater. In one year, or five years, the power of Iraq to inflict harm on all free nations would be multiplied many times over. With these capabilities, Saddam Hussein and his terrorist allies could choose the moment of deadly conflict when they are strongest. We choose to meet that threat now, where it arises, before it can appear suddenly in our skies and cities.]

not hate speech and in far more need of the censors pen. Censoring speech has the unfortunate side effect of legitimising any other public speech. Having no censorship forces the listener to be more discerning and critical

Gary? ride si sapis