[lbo-talk] Ron Jr on W

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 21 09:16:51 PDT 2004

New York Daily News - July 21, 2004

Daily Dish Lloyd Grove

Ron Jr. throws the book at Bush

The Democrats' most potent secret weapon?

It might very well be MSNBC "Hardball" correspondent Ron Reagan - Son of the Gipper.

The 46-year-old Reagan, a trustee of the nominally nonpartisan Creative Coalition, will be speaking out in favor of stem-cell research at next's week's Democratic Convention.

And in "If You Had Five Minutes With the President," a soon-to-be published collection of celebrity essays benefiting the Coalition, Reagan offers a scathing critique of George W. Bush's professions of faith.

"I would want to know whether he believes that the thousands of innocent Iraqis and Afghans who have died as a result of our military campaigns will be welcome in heaven [as he imagines it]," Reagan writes. "People who believe they are acting with the mandate of God, who see others who don't share their beliefs as inferior in the eyes of God, make dangerous leaders. Just ask Osama Bin Laden."

Among the 62 boldface names who also weigh in is "Will & Grace" star Eric McCormack, who writes: "We are all appalled at the age-old treatment of women in much of the Third World, but deny an American woman's right to choose by quoting the Bible."

Actor Alan Cumming also addresses President Bush: "You may have had, no doubt, a family member remove thousands of people from the electoral register to enable your ascension to power, but please don't forget to be publicly outraged when other countries do exactly the same thing."

The sarcasm meter is off the scale.