[lbo-talk] Re: Anti-Chomsky Reader

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Wed Jul 21 11:13:18 PDT 2004

On Jul 21, 2004, at 1:39 PM, BklynMagus wrote:

> 2) Someone once posted (I think it might have been Doug; my
> pardon if I am wrong) that power is conservative. Conservatives
> have it easier than liberals/anarchists/progressives (LAPs) etc. To be
> successful as a conservative, often all one has to do is be an
> obstructionist.

I've maintained this also for a long time. As I like to put it, "LAPs" have to swim upstream all the time. In the Boston Review symposium on the future of the Democrats which has been cited on this list a few time, Perlstein argues for Democrats taking a long-term view and slogging away with a clear left-of-center position until they succeed, as the right wing of the GOP did after Goldwater's loss. But the rightwing Republicans had it a lot easier, because they were only upholding the existing system.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe. -- Attr. to Alfonso the Wise, King of Castile