[lbo-talk] Rec for people in NY tri-state: brilliant 13 minute doc on PBS

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Jul 21 17:33:54 PDT 2004

[I saw this at a festival this winter. It's a wonderful movie about the ambivalences of being a woman. Funny, heart-warming, and for me at least, very informative. It gives a deeply satisfying explanation of the oft-cited statistic of why most women are wearing the wrong size bra -- which turns out to be a much profounder question than I ever suspected.]

[And it's only 13 minutes long. Although warning -- it could be buried anywhere in a one hour show of other short docs. Of course if you record it you can skip the others.]

A GOOD UPLIFT Will Be Broadcast this Thursday, July 22 on PBS!

Tune in to our PBS broadcast on WNET's Reel NY Series

This Thursday, July 22nd at 10pm (Channel 13 in NYC -- check local listings for channel info in the tri-state area)

For more info on the broadcast: http://www.thirteen.org/reelnewyork9/film_w8_f2.html

Perky? Saggy? Straps sliding south? A GOOD UPLIFT is a light-hearted documentary about a Lower East Side lingerie shop, where owner and Jewish grandmother Magda, will size you up, hook you in, and set you free in the perfect bra. With the wink of an eye and quick tug of a strap, Magda supports her customers' self-esteem and bustline, embracing and enhancing women of all shapes and sizes as they embark on a journey in pursuit of the perfect bra. Produced by Faye Lederman, Cheryl Furjanic and Eve Lederman.

The PBS broadcast of A GOOD UPLIFT marks the kick-off of our national outreach and education campaign, which is reaching women of diverse ages and backgrounds, to help them explore issues of women's health and wellness, body image and self-esteem. With the help of a grant from the NY State Council on the Arts, our outreach screenings this month included Girls, Inc., the Lower East Side Girls' Club, the YWCA Center for Girls, Drisha Women's Institute, and summer camps throughout the Northeast.

For more information, write to uplift at squeezethestone.org Or visit www.squeezethestone.org

"An engaging documentary... about an Orchard Street bra shop run by a Hungarian Jew who dispenses much wisdom along with undergarments" - The Village Voice

"A film about human emotion at its most personal. It speaks to the heart with no padding." The San Francisco Jewish Bulletin