[lbo-talk] Re: Ivan Illich

Gregory Lipman gregory.l at mazdaace.co.jp
Wed Jul 21 17:33:13 PDT 2004

Budge wrote: i do not want my surgeon to learn anatomy by "infusing it with political meaning". thanks, but no thanks. as imperfect as the current education systems is, --------------------------------------- This is certainly the most common, off-the-cuff criticism to this type of thought. I think it follows the same type of logic the people criticize Euro-style socialized medicine by saying "well, they have to wait nine months for a triple bypass". Kind of skirting the issue that, sure, in the U.S. you can get a triple bypass IF you hae the proper insurance and cash. Also skirting the wider issues of how heart trouble usually comes from a high fat/calorie diet and the insane over-medication of society. Certainly Illich is utopianistic ("feel-good" if you like) but he directs a lot of his analysis at the third world. What should come first, triple bypass surgery for overweight Manhattanites or basic innoculations for poor Guatemalans? At the least, Illich forces people to analyze the current socio-economic system as a whole. FWIW, here's his take on the surgery issue: A "skill model" is a person who possesses a skill and is willing to demonstrate its practice. A demonstration of this kind is frequently a necessary resource for a potential learner. Modern inventions permit us to incorporate demonstration into tape, film, or chart; yet one would hope personal demonstration will remain in wide demand, especially in communication skills. Some ten thousand adults have learned Spanish at our Center at Cuernavaca--mostly highly motivated persons who wanted to acquire near-native fluency in a second language. When they are faced with a choice between carefully programmed instruction in a lab or drill sessions with two other students and a native speaker following a rigid routine, most choose the second. For most widely shared skills, a person who demonstrates the skill is the only human resource we ever need or get. Whether in speaking or driving, in cooking or in the use of communication equipment, we are often barely conscious of formal instruction and learning, especially after our first experience of the materials in question. I see no reason why other complex skills, such as the mechanical aspects of surgery and playing the fiddle, of reading or the use of directories and catalogues, could not be learned in the same way. -------------------------------------