[lbo-talk] Anti-Chomsky Reader

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Jul 21 18:46:48 PDT 2004

Michael Pugliese wrote:

> Fight like hell, amazon.com, Borders and Barnes and Noble. Michael
> the mgr. at longtime radical bookstore here, Modern Times says their
> sales are down catastrophically. At the Borders by Union Square here, a
> good 50 copies of the new one by Amy Goodman, for example, flew out the
> window, immediately. Sales at Modern Times, zilch, nada. Even when Bill
> Ayers came to speak (and I almost jumped outta my chair, Bernadine
> Dohrn was inches away from me, just behind) and it was packed, few
> bought his book. Took me months on a waiting list at the SFPL to check
> it out for free.

Sounds like Amy Goodman should challenge her listeners to support independent bookstores more. If they run out and buy her books at corporate bookstores, these liberal yuppie fucks may as well be Republicans.

This seques into another thought I had about the current discussions here. I'm getting more worried that the liberal effort to defeat Bush is sucking money and resources our of the progressive left that will take years to overcome. It's one thing to hold your nose and vote for Kerry, another thing to actually send money to the Kerry campaign. Of course, it's hard to tell how much of a problem this is right now.

Chuck