[lbo-talk] Committee on the Present Fascist

Gregory Lipman gregory.l at mazdaace.co.jp
Wed Jul 21 18:49:14 PDT 2004

Speaking of Euro-fascists.... (Via a very intersting blog, War and Piece) The resurrection of the Committee on the Present Danger? My first reaction is to giggle. What is this, did these guys not get enough of the Cold War? There are tours of the nuclear bomb-proof bunker at the Greenbrier, you know. Maybe it could be rented out for parties. The managing director of this - uh - effort, Peter Hannaford, has been lobbying for some of the world's nasties, I noticed in some recent reporting. Including for Austria's Nazi-nostalgic Jorg Haider and the Austrian Freedom Party, and some African dictators, too. I guess it all depends on how you define "present danger." Groups which track anti-semitism had pretty grave things to say about Haider and the Austrian Freedom Party back in 1997 when Hannaford was a paid lobbyist for the party, according to Justice Department records. (Check link for nice pic. of Haider and Saddam in 2002) http://www.warandpiece.com/blogdirs/000940.html