[lbo-talk] Re: Officials knew of voter list's race flaw

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Thu Jul 22 09:28:20 PDT 2004

On Jul 21, 2004, at 10:14 PM, R wrote:

> but ... but ... al gore said himself in the first of his two recent
> fire
> breathin' dragon speeches:
>
> "In December of 2000, even though I strongly disagreed with the
> decision by
> the U.S. Supreme Court to order a halt to the counting of legally cast
> ballots, I saw it as my duty to reaffirm my own strong belief that we
> are a
> nation of laws and not only accept the decision, but do what I could to
> prevent efforts to delegitimize George Bush as he took the oath of
> office as
> president."

That's a very good example of the dividing line between politicians in the system and outside the system. I would predict that Kerry (who had at least a foot, or a few toes, outside the system for a while after his Vietnam War experience) would affirm his belief that "we are a nation of laws" also, in case there is a similar brouhaha this year.

"Efforts to delegitimize GB," if he wins, will most assuredly take place, whether Big John tries to prevent them or not. And this would certainly split the DP, and perhaps even the GOP. What would the right do if Kerry won in a 2000-like scenario? That's an interesting subject for speculation.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax