[lbo-talk] Cho disinvited from Dem chucklefest

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jul 22 12:48:04 PDT 2004

<http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/07/072204choDems.htm>

Cho 'Disinvited' To Gay Dems Bash by Doreen Brandt 365Gay.com Newscenter Washington Bureau

(Washington) Margaret Cho has been pulled as the headliner at a gay event scheduled to coincide with the Democratic National Convention in Boston.

Unity 2004 is the biggest gathering of gay organizations and their supporters at any convention in US political history. Sponsored by 10 LGBT civil rights groups, it will be held Monday night in a cavernous gay club near the convention site and is expected to attract hundreds of delegates.

"I am not surprised at the reversal in light of how the Kerry campaign distanced itself from Whoopi's routine in response to the unrelenting media hype and Republican criticism," said Margaret's manager, Karen Taussig.

"It's Whoopi's job as a comedian to say things that are sometimes shocking. I wish they could have backed her up. Dennis Miller can make gay jokes about Senators Kerry and Edwards at a recent Bush rally in Wisconsin to a complete absence of media scrutiny. No one demanded a tape of that event or alleged that his comments as a comedian might reflect poorly on Bush."

Sponsors of the event say, despite allegations by Taussig, there was no pressure from either the Kerry campaign or the DNC.

"We spoke with Cho's publicist about the material and she said it was going to be 'brutal'," Human Right's Campaign spokesperson Mark Shields told 365Gay.com.

Shields said that the decision to cancel Cho's appearance was made by the groups themselves.

"We didn't want to censor Margaret but we didn't want her to overshadow the fact it is the biggest gay event at a convention ever and we want the focus to be on the unity of the gay community," Shields said.

However, not all of the groups involved in Unity 2004 agreed with the decision to rescind the invitation.

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Thursday withdrew its sponsorship of Unity 2004.

"We are dismayed that Margaret Cho has been disinvited," said NGLTF executive director Matt Foreman.

"Throughout her career, Ms. Cho has been a staunch supporter of equal rights for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Americans, has contributed her time and talent to dozens of LGBT fundraising events, and is much loved by our community," Foreman said in a statement.

"We were proud to give her a Task Force Leadership Award last year. Ms. Cho has said, 'I'm more than bi(sexual).' She is, indeed, one of us."

Gay Democrats are also distancing themselves from the decision to dump Cho.

"It wasn't our decision," said John Marble, a spokesperson for National Stonewall Democrats.

Marble said that NSD is working with Cho to register voters on college campuses across the country. The group will hold voter registration events at various locations where the comedian is performing her State of Emergency show.

"Younger voters are key to winning this election," Marble said.

"In addition," said Marble, "she is donating half of the money from sales of her State of Emergency DVD to the Stonewall Democrats."

Last week Whoopi Goldberg came under attack from Republicans and conservative action groups for a routine she performed at a NYC fundraiser for John Kerry.

During the act at Radio City Music Hall Goldberg launched into a personal attack on President Bush comparing his name to an area of the female anatomy.

Following the firestorm Goldberg was dropped from her lucrative contract promoting Slimfast.

The Unity 2004 event has also drawn fire from one gay group, but not over Cho.

Don'tAmend says it will picket the party to draw attention to Kerry's support for an amendment to the Massachusetts state Constitution to ban gay marriage. (story)

While Kerry opposes amending the US Constitution he has voiced his support for the Massachusetts measure. He also opposes gay marriage but supports civil unions.