[lbo-talk] RE: Juan Cole: al Qaeda, Iran and Bush's gathering attack

paul childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 22 12:46:46 PDT 2004

>Hmmmm. I wonder how this is going to play out in Canada. A fair amount of
>space has been given over to the trial of the accused murderer of Zahra
>Kazemi:

>I can see Harper and his ilk whipping up a head of outrage for BushCo.

I can't see the upset here caused by the murder of Kazemi translating into a willingness to go to war, or support someone else's war in Iran, I think there is still some sense of proportionality in response up here. I think people want our govt. to do something, but I don’t think war is it.

I suspect Harper and the boyos support for whatever misadventures Bushco might get into in Iran or elsewhere would be totally reflexive, and like last time, totally ineffective. Which is fine with me, much as I dislike PMartinco as PM anything that further marginalizes the Tories is just dandy with me.

Speaking of which did you hear about Edmonton (and mine, sadly) MP Peter Goldring’s latest attempt to limit freedom of speech? Seems some guy with an axe to grind (duh) has parked a truck lined with all kinds of obscenities, swastikas and pictures of Stephen Harper outside Goldring’s office for the last few days. The police won’t arrest him (after the ‘Fuck Klein’ bumpersticker fiasco of several years ago) so Goldring wants limits on speech that would put this guy out of business. This from the same yahoo who doesn’t want sexual orientation identified as a basis for prosecution in anti-hate speech legislation.

So, hate speech against rich, conservative white guys is a crime, hate speech against queers is fine, especially if you wrap religion around it. It is to laugh.

PC

N P Childs

'I'm Mister Bad Example, the stranger in the dirt, I like to have a good time and I don't care who gets hurt'.

-Mr. Bad Example, W Zevon