[lbo-talk] Re:

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Fri Jul 23 10:22:52 PDT 2004

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 at 11:26am snit snat wrote:

> At 10:44 AM 7/23/2004, budge wrote:
>
> >i'm getting tired of this one. this has nothing to do with
> >outhouse and,in fact, for the last few years outhouse has
> >come out of the box pretty well locked down. it is much
> >more likely to be a browser exploit (ie, but nutscrape has
> >some too) or one of the myriad smb/file sharing exploits.
>
> yah. but doesn't it get back to 'doze?

yes, of course. 'doze, not outlook per se. outlook used to be very bad and i banned from my networks for a long time, but they really did clean it up a good deal a few years back. (outlook express is a completely different animal sharing only a name and it is still banned from my networks.) but i see this kneejerk bashing of OL all the time from people who should know better, but their clinton-defender style hatred of bush^H^H^H^H gates makes them say these things :-)

> the recent attacks on mozilla and opera were about a
> shell: request sent to an external handler. the handlers
> security takes over in NT, 2K and XP with their jazzy
> default settings.

correct. it's really the os that is the evil offender, not the apps (well the apps are the vector, but if the os were secure, they couldn't be the vector).

> [1](she says, as a lame ass 'doze user who just hasn't had
> time to do BSD. Look, I started up a BSD box two years
> ago... but here I am, still trying to get my work work
> done and no time to play. But, I listened about BSD!!!
> :) (ya BOHF!)

:-)

-- no Onan

Truth is the most valuable thing we have - so let us economize it.

-- Mark Twain