[lbo-talk] Re: "America's pathetic liberals: the sequel"

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat Jul 24 13:26:16 PDT 2004

On Jul 22, 2004, at 11:58 AM, BklynMagus wrote:

> 1) What is wrong with calculation in a movie? Have the films of Ozu,
> Fassbinder,
> Anthony Mann, Hitchcock, Frankenheimer, Murnau not reached Canada yet?
> If not, the leftists of our great neighbor to the north need a cinema
> intervention
> right away. They better start going to the Cinematheque in Toronto
> with
> greater frequency.

LOL! This person's idea of how to make a film must be to start a camera and keep it pointed at nothing in particular until you run out of film or tape. Anything else, I guess, would be "calculation."

But the reviewer's point seems to be in the following sentence which you quote:

> Pictures of a small number of flag-draped coffins appear
> to be almost the only thing fueling America's limp antiwar movement.

There are peace movement members who think that such pictures are the foundation of the movement, but that is hardly the opinion of most thinking peace people. And polls are showing consistently that U.S. troop casualties are hardly the only thing which prompts the public in general, outside the movement, to question the war more and more. The questions of whether the war was justified in the first place and whether the administration has been conducting it properly, even assuming it were justified, seem to be in a lot of peoples' minds.

But in the mainstream media it seems to be an article of faith that troop casualties are practically the only thing the peace movement has going for it. Their assumption seems to be that Americans will faithfully "back the troops" (i.e., support the administration's policies) until the total reaches some "too high" figure (never precisely specified), after which they will quickly start calling for "cutting and running." A rather bizarre misreading of how people actually think about wars, which in fact is rather more sophisticated than the pundits generally suppose.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)