[lbo-talk] Prediction...

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Jul 27 09:01:04 PDT 2004

From: Wojtek Sokolowski

Joanna:.

> Why? No hard facts, it just has a nice dramatic/poetic symmetry. Is
> poetic justice in the economic lexicon?

Actually, there is considerable literature arguing that much economic behavior and organizational behavior is in fact mythology and superstition wrapped in pseudo-scientific lingo.

-clip-

I would venture as far as saying that about three fourths of what passes for "knowledge" today, especially in the realms of politics, social affairs, and economy, is bad poetry disguised as science.

Wojtek

^^^^^^

Isn't this about the same thing as the postmod/poststruc critique of science ( physical and social), science as master narratives, academic power struggles and all that ? - especially, when you say the actual economic and organizational _behavior_ itself is mythology and superstitution.

In the old school it was said that this superstitious behavior is commodity _fetishism_, ideology and false consciousness , and its study here bourgeois social science.

Evidently, Wayne State University anthro department has a heavy emphasis on business anthropology. Perhaps they gather myths and stories from native business informants. Maybe it's a return to anthro's roots as the handmaiden of imperialism.

Charles