[lbo-talk] Your (nearly totally insane) Ann Coulter moment for the day

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jul 27 14:36:16 PDT 2004

At 04:27 PM 7/27/2004, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>Yes, it is gross and I suppose you could say her
>sentiments are out of date - though considering the
>bizarreness of the tone and descriptions I think "out
>of date" doesn't quite hit the mark. "Out of this
>reality" seems more like it. Why did I post it? Oh,
>just a spot of fun. I thought it was amusing and
>surreal. Her hatred of the Left, even the lukewarm
>variety on display at the DemCon, reaches such a level
>of hyperbole it achieves escape velocity from the real
>and enters territory perhaps best described by folks
>like Zizek.

I don't think it's out-of-date at all. It reflects the views of dittoheads, who remain a strong force among Republicans--not far rightnuts at all. This is exactly the way Marketing Dewd thinks, for instance. He's not a dittohead, however. He's in his mid-thirties. He's yer typical cul-de-sac dwelling young suburban professional. They think this sort of thing is funny and, largely, truthful. In turn, they think MM is a horrible person who uses propaganda.

I asked before if anyone payed attn to "Terror in the skies, again?" The article has been widely criticized but that doesn't matter. What is important is that a large portion of the population, including those folks who are unhappy with Iraq are desperate for some way to legitimate that mistake. Pointing to phantom terrorists plots, as that article did, plays on fear, uncertainty, and doubt. I think it's important to remember how _tenuous_ antiwar sentiments are at the moment. A solid antiwar sentiment cannot be created by a movie, as CC points out, but it can get people out the door and getting involved.

But more, if Kerry wins, you can expect this sort of thing to be the level of discourse and it will get worse. The troglodytes aren't going to slink back to their cave. For a bit, yes. Like five minutes. That's all the breathing room we'll have. Living in a state where Bush is kicking Kerry's ass, relatively speaking, I'll take whatever breathing room we can get.

Ann Coulter was just a taste of things to come--if Kerry wins. I'm not at all sure that he will. The establishment may be turning on him, but that means diddly if voters don't turn on Shrub. They're still the ones who have to hang a chad.

Kelley

"We're in a fucking stagmire."

--Little Carmine, 'The Sopranos'