[lbo-talk] Belief in hell boosts economic growth

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 09:52:31 PDT 2004

One thing about this "Belief in hell may boost economic growth" stuff -- correlation may be demonstrated by the St Louis Fed's numbers, but causation isn't. That is, despite the Reuters headline that "belief in hell causes economic growth," that hasn't actually been proven.

Even so, the whole study is fascinating and funny, if not a bit wierd, considering from whence it comes.

> From: DeborahSRogers
>

> Geez, I guess this makes me doomed to eternal
poverty...

> Report: Belief in hell boosts economic growth
> By ALISTER BULL
> Reuters News Service
>
> WASHINGTON -- Economists searching for reasons why
some nations are
> richer than others have found that those with a wide
belief in hell
> are less corrupt and more prosperous, according to a
report by the
> Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
>
> ^^^^
> CB: I can't wait for Doug's critique of this. Less
"wrongdoing" in the U.S.