[lbo-talk] Choosing our Terrain, was Re: O'Reilly v. Moore - 2

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jul 28 17:42:11 PDT 2004

Carrol wrote:
>I really don't know how large the audience is for Fox News.

Even among Fox's core audience of conservatives, CNN has an edge in total viewership. A study by the ad agency Carat USA (Hollywood Reporter, 8/13/03) found that 37 percent of viewers calling themselves "very conservative" watch CNN in the course of a week, while only 32 percent tune to Fox. . . .

The O'Reilly Factor is the best-rated show on Fox, with about 2 million viewers a night (Daily Variety, 12/5/03). CBS Evening News, the least-watched broadcast network evening news show, routinely gets four or five times as big an audience, and that's seen as a ratings disaster. Fox's flagship news show, Special Report with Brit Hume, gets a million viewers on a good night -- a few thousand more than the local newscast of New York City's WNBC (Hollywood Reporter, 10/1/03; Nielsen). (Steve Rendall, "The Ratings Mirage: Why Fox Has Higher Ratings -- When CNN Has More Viewers," Extra!, April 2004)</blockquote>

Cf. <http://montages.blogspot.com/2004/07/outfoxed.html>.

Doug wrote:
>My one appearance on the Moyers show raised me to #45 on Amazon's
>bestseller list

Amazon.com shows that customers who buy your books -- including yours truly -- are the sort who buy other liberals and leftists' books -- knowing that, Amazon.com offers a package deal bundling your latest book with a book by Robert Pollin:

Buy this book with Contours of Descent by Robert Pollin today! plus Total List Price: $45.95 Buy Together Today: $31.67

Customers who bought this book also bought:

* Wall Street: How It Works and for Whom by Doug Henwood (Rate it) * Incoherent Empire by Michael Mann (Rate it) * The Sorrows of Empire: Militarism, Secrecy, and the End of the Republic by Chalmers Johnson (Rate it) * The ABC's of Political Economy: A Modern Approach by Robin Hahnel (Rate it) * The Soul of Capitalism: Opening Paths to a Moral Economy by William Greider (Rate it)

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1565847709/qid=1091060704/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/104-7253372-1365500?v=glance&s=books&n=507846>

Wall Street: How It Works and for Whom by Doug Henwood . . .

Buy this book with After the New Economy by Doug Henwood today! plus Total List Price: $49.95 Buy Together Today: $33.97

Customers who bought this book also bought:

* The ABC's of Political Economy: A Modern Approach by Robin Hahnel (Rate it) * Contours of Descent: US Economic Fractures and the Landscape of Global Austerity by Robert Pollin (Rate it) * The Boom and The Bubble: The US in the World Economy by Robert Brenner (Rate it) * Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance (The American Empire Project) by Noam Chomsky (Rate it) * The Sorrows of Empire: Militarism, Secrecy, and the End of the Republic by Chalmers Johnson (Rate it)

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/086091495X/qid=1091060829/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-7253372-1365500?v=glance&s=books&n=507846></blockquote>

Amazon.com's marketing based on customers' habits, if anything, is evidence for Carrol's argument: preach to the choir first and foremost. Intellectuals like you and Michael Moore are doing a good job by providing the choir with good songs. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>