[lbo-talk] Choosing our Terrain, was Re: O'Reilly v. Moore - 2

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jul 29 06:34:03 PDT 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Amazon.com's marketing based on customers' habits, if anything, is
>evidence for Carrol's argument: preach to the choir first and
>foremost. Intellectuals like you and Michael Moore are doing a good
>job by providing the choir with good songs.

There's a role for preaching to the choir - have to keep it informed & inspired. But it's not good to speak to the choir only in our private language - it has to be open and interesting enough that nonmembers might be intrigued too. The Moyers audience includes a lot of liberals who wouldn't know from the transformation problem - but they may be wondering why they have to work so damned hard and don't get long enough vacations. I'm happy to pander, and wish I could get more opportunities to do so.

Doug