[lbo-talk] Sharpton

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 29 05:53:25 PDT 2004

>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>Was just watching Al Sharpton give a pretty interesting speech at the DNC
>>and am awed at the amount of hostility he generated immediately from MSNBC
>>commentators Chris Matthews, Howard Fineman and Doris Kearns "Steal This
>>Book" Goodwin, all of whom are appalled that Sharpton is not "sticking to
>>the script" of toothless banalities ordered up by Kerry. I am surprised
>>by the MSNBC crew's undisguised, visceral dislike of Sharpton.
>>Interesting.
>
>Watch it on C-SPAN and spare yourself those idiots!
>
>Doug

Chris Matthews was too much even for the Washington Post. From WP TV critic Tom Shales today:

"Surprisingly, Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly did not manage to be the most ridiculous of that crew [i.e., the cable networks] last night. Chris Matthews, getting a trifle desperate over on MSNBC, sank to an absurd new low when he hauled in actor Steve Buscemi, who seemed to be visiting the convention on a whim, and asked if he wasn't outraged at seeing Sharpton because Sharpton 'built his career lying about cops.'

"How's that again? Buscemi looked mystified, and no wonder. Even Matthews began to look mystified, as if an evil gremlin had popped out of his stomach and started asking nonsensically contentious questions."

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23323-2004Jul29.html>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Overwhelmed by debt? Find out how to ‘Dig Yourself Out of Debt’ from MSN Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0407debt.armx