[lbo-talk] Re: O'Reilly v. Moore - 2

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 29 06:37:16 PDT 2004

I've talked to some of the women who worked at Mitsubishi -- and it really was a hellhole there for women. (There is also a lot of racist shit, but in ways that have been harder to prove.) And language like "dick" and "pussy" was just a minor aspect of it, but they are an entering wedge.

The English language is not so impoverished that we can't find less sexist obscenities.

To some extent -- minor but not in the least insignificant -- depriving an attitude of its vocabulary makes that attitude harder to maintain.

There has been a good deal of discussion on this list of the necessity of keeping anti-zionism separate from anti-semitism -- for example by referring to Israelis rather than to Jews when we are speaking of the horrors of the Zionist state. It is simply not _necessary_ to use the (even faintly) anti-semitic language to express our anti-zionist rage. Exactly the same principle applies here. It is not _necessary_ to use language that has been used to put down women, fat people, cripples, et cetera to make our various points (to express our rage), and if it is not necessary, then it really is at best stupid to use the language.

Carrol