[lbo-talk] Using Drugs to Control Depression, Erratic Behavior

R rhisiart at charter.net
Thu Jul 29 16:53:12 PDT 2004

you're quite right, john. i tried to point out that every patient is different and will potentially have a different response to any psychotropic drug from that of the average. the statement you quote refers to the average. you are obviously far from average.

in regard to miles's comment: as miles says, SSRIs do not effect "body chemistry" in general, at least that's what the research says. as the name implies, SSRIs reduce the body's "normal" uptake of serotonin. a newer group, called SNRIs (Serotonin and Noradrenaline Reuptake Inhibitors), exist but are not widely used as SSRIs. they both affect the neurotransmitter systems in your brain, it's believed, by increasing the activities of serotonin and, in the case of SSRIs, both serotonin and noradrenaline in the brain.

i tend to believe that anything effecting serotonin and/or noradrenaline uptake effects body chemistry to a degree; how it does this is another matter.