[lbo-talk] Re: "light and bright" etc.

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Thu Jul 29 17:24:07 PDT 2004

All quite true, but I wouldn't neglect the political dimension to the media hostility directed at Sharpton. He deviated, probably quite consciously, from the informal ground rules imposed by the DLC leadership, which is to avoid Bush-bashing from the podium and the floor so as to to project a "moderate" image calculated to attract the elusive swing vote. The mediocre US media is customarily deferential and protective of authority, uncritically endorses Kerry's very risky electoral strategy, and reflexively sanctions and mocks dissent, which Sharpton represented in this instance.

You're right in the way you contrast Obama and Sharpton, but I think Sharpton would gone completely unnoticed if he had fallen into line with the cheery two-step performed by the other keynote speakers. On the other hand, if Micheal Moore (the real hero of the DP activist base) had then followed him to the podium and fired up the crowd with a swinging attack on Bush, the media wrath would have been directed his way, skin colour be damned. Which, of course, is why Moore never got a chance to even address the delegates in the first place.

Marv Gandall

----- Original Message ----- From: "frank scott" <frank at marin.cc.ca.us> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 7:32 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] Re: "light and bright" etc.