[lbo-talk] Re: Sexuality Under Seige or So What Else is New?

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Fri Jul 30 15:48:42 PDT 2004

Charles:
> The idea, from a left standpoint, is that _men's_ talk can be sexist;
>women's talk cannot be sexist, in general. It's not "symetrical".

My take on this whole thing is that women's talk can be sexist (anti-woman sexist, I mean) but it doesn't carry the weight men's does because it doesn't have male privilege attached to it. So while technically sexist it's just not that significant and would quickly disappear if sexism were not promoted vigorously throughout our society.

>> However, it is for women to say what you say here, not for me , as a
>man, to say. Wouldn't be correct for me , nor other men, to criticize women's
>sexist speech/behaviors/attitudes.

Brian:
>Why?
>
>What possible good is gained by permitting sexist speech/behaviors/attitudes
>to occur without being challenged?

In theory, that seems reasonable. In practice, men generally have no clue and criticize us for not being feminist enough in our personal conduct, which is useless and irritating because feminism is a political word, it's not about individual women changing their personal behavior under the same old oppressive conditions. Or men criticize our use of language to show how down they are with feminism, but the goal is to make themselves look like good guys, not reduce the amount of sexist bullshit in the world. It would be more helpful to us women if you guys would spend this time criticizing men when they're sexist and anti-woman, something you may find to be more frequent and virulent if you listen closely. Ah, but it's harder to confront men than women, isn't it?

Charles:
>> The left definition of "obscenity" starts with the issue of male supremacy
>as it impinges on sex. Rape is the main left "obscenity".

Brian:
>This sounds like what a feminist once said to me on a panel: "All sex with
>men is rape since it involves penetration." Needless to say she was
anti-porn
>as well.

Hmm. Stunningly, all women don't think alike on this topic.

Obscenity? To me mostly consists of assaults on women's dignity, worth and humanity. If you get off on that, you need to check yourself cause you have been had by male supremacy and it's undermining your own humanity.

Jenny Brown