[lbo-talk] "I Had an Abortion"

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Fri Jul 30 16:50:44 PDT 2004

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>

>>I have my differences with Yoshie, but that wasn't a piece of
>>self-indulgent crap. Unless you think abortion is a trivial issue, which
>>it isn't.
>No abortion is not trivial and I believe in a person's right to choose but
>to have an abortion for no other reason than not wanting the child is
>trivialising abortion and life to the extent of absurdity and contempt.
>
>Gary?

How? I think making a conscious decision NOT to bring another life into this word because the person does not feel they are ready to be a parent is not trivializing life but rather realizing the gravity of the decision. Many people have children with little thought about how things are going to be in reality. Your thinking is that abortion is bad but the alternative is worse so it is the lesser of two evils. That is the thinking that needs to go away. Having an abortion is not bad, evil or morally questionable. People need to quite making judgements of this kind about a decision that is a private matter.

John Thornton