[lbo-talk] "I Had an Abortion"

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Sat Jul 31 10:28:36 PDT 2004

In a series of posts that I otherwise agree with, John Thornton wrote:

> Many people have children with little thought about how things are going to
> be in reality.

As irritated as I am with the moralism of the Gary?s of the world, I actually have just as big a problem with judging people (well, let's face it, women) for not availing themselves of abortion. People have kids mostly because they want to, and that's a great reason. I'm not sure people do very often have children without thinking about how it's going to be, and if they do, well, we should have the kind of society that can help them do a good job. Abortion is no more and no less "responsible" than having babies; the point is, women should be able to do either without censure.

Liza