[lbo-talk] Re: Sexuality Under Seige, or What Else is New?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 31 09:56:14 PDT 2004

>From: "Nathan Newman" <nathanne at nathannewman.org>
>
>My dismissiveness is that I think the priorities, political and
>constitutional, of a chunk of the left is out of kilter. That part of the
>left prefers to highlight issues like the right to advertise dildos, which
>is inherently going to piss off potential progressive allies, while
>spending relatively little time talking about issues like the minimum wage,
>where something like 80% of the population support's the progressive
>position. It's not that we shouldn't fight the hard fights, but the
>rightwing is smart enough to fight broad politics on their most popular
>issues like tax cuts, then use their winning of power to pass the rest of
>their agenda. A lot of the left seems incapable of any discussion of
>tactics and strategy, and proceed to insult even people who agree with them
>on goals if they want to discuss better tactics for victory.

There's something to what you say, Nathan. Going to the barricades over the right to hawk plastic schlongs in the Weekly Shopper is the kind of leftish kamikaze strike that has kept the GOP chortling and in office for many years now. The left should of course pick its battles better and focus on dollars-and-cents issues ... or so you would think. The problem is -- as, e.g., Thomas Frank discusses in What's the Matter With Kansas? -- real economic issues are often non-starters with voters at large. Increasingly, any realistic discussion of the economy requires frank acknowledgement of America's class structure and inequitable distribution of wealth. But class is the third rail of US politics that you dare not touch, the red sector that you dare not enter -- the ultimate no-no. Americans' squeamishness about discussing class makes it impossible for the left to make the appeals it should be making and makes it impossible for the country to come to grips with its problems in any realistic way.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/