[lbo-talk] Re: Sexuality Under Seige, or What Else is New?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jul 31 11:22:59 PDT 2004

Carl Remick wrote:

>There's something to what you say, Nathan. Going to the barricades
>over the right to hawk plastic schlongs in the Weekly Shopper is the
>kind of leftish kamikaze strike that has kept the GOP chortling and
>in office for many years now.

Is that the reason? Did Dukakis and Mondale hawk dildoes on the campaign trail? I must have missed that.

The way you put it trivializes the issue, which should be that the right to sexual pleasure is as fundamental as the right to free speech. Sexual weirdness, a lot of it driven by religion, is one of the more important reasons American politics is so fucked up. It has something to do with why Kerry opened his acceptance speech with a military salute. You can't challenge the discourse of permanent war without recognizing this.

Doug