[lbo-talk] The Return of the Draft

R rhisiart at charter.net
Thu Jun 3 18:05:13 PDT 2004

the best argument against the draft is that there aren't any good wars. putting a person-power pool in the hands of the pentagon and power elite the size a draft can deliver is much to tempting for these morally challenged people.

to argue that a draft is a great equalizer is suicidal. nothing will force the privileged to "serve." shrub and his chicken hawks are good examples of that fact.

opposing wars and opposing a draft -- a draft being quite likely if shrub's elected -- is the best way to go. problem is too many people are resting at the moment. without the stimulus of war and/or a draft, they don't get moving. very few people spend much time on concerns about the left appearing hypocritical.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Liza Featherstone" <lfeather at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 12:11 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] The Return of the Draft

I haven't heard any good left arguments against the draft, though I'm all ears if anyone has one. I do agree with the *libertarian* arguments against it, actually -- the government shouldn't have the power to make me put my life on the line -- but it seems the left actually risks looking/being hypocritical by denouncing class inequality and then denouncing a policy that would in theory -- and somewhat in fact -- force the privileged to serve. Better not to oppose the draft itself, but oppose wars and organize draft resistance in the -- very unlikely -- event there should be a draft.

Liza