[lbo-talk] The Return of the Draft

dano dano at well.com
Sat Jun 5 12:34:15 PDT 2004

At 11:21 PM -0500 6/4/04, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
>Mutual aggression?

Surface to air from one player, air to surface from the other.

> In fact, the US-controlled sanctions regime killed far
>more people than either GW1 or GW2.

Quite true. My $0.02 analysis was just a quick look at the hot "bookends" of the whole thing. After all, how many draftees does it take to fight an economic war? None, as far as I can tell.

> Clinton is responsible for more dead
>Iraqis than both Bushes combined.

I get your point. Though I'd perhaps expand the accused to be the USG and UK Govt.

>I think future historians (if there are any) will see the Gulf Wars as
>part of the long history of colonialism, which underwent a major
>consolidation after 1945. Your pre-modern examples are more like the
>Thirty Years' War of the Twentieth Century, 1914-45. --CGE

Depends on the historian and how he/she slices it. All of the colonial powers had their wars of colonialism and historians look at both the episodic wars and the overall colonial systems. I'm just looking at the war of the US against Iraq, with particular attention to the likelihood that the US will have to restart the draft because it simply needs more people to fill slots and to put more "boots on the ground" in the latest colony.

Watch for nearly hidden announcements of tranfer of units from Germany to Iraq...