[lbo-talk] Re:reagan

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 6 08:15:59 PDT 2004

>From: "Dennis Perrin" <dperrin at comcast.net>
>
> > Haven't read Morris, but I thought his basic take was that Reagan
>actually
> > wasn't human, that he had no center.
>
> > Carl
>
>More complex than that. R's fam life early on wasn't happy, and he sought
>fill whatever emptiness he felt by embracing and espousing the simplest
>narratives. R was a born actor, a good one, and once Holmes Tuttle and
>other
>reactionary millionaires got hold of him, he was destined for the greatest
>role that exists in the US (to most anyway -- me, it's Fed Chairman).
>
>DP

My takeaway is that Reagan proves Hollywood is the essence of evil after all. Before Reagan came to power I never took seriously the idea that movies, in their ability to create ersatz myths, are basically mind rot. Well, Ronnie certainly set me straight on that one.

BTW, I just watched about one-half hour of Lost in Translation and do not understand why this irritating, humdrum movie elicited such oohs and ahs. Why exactly is the viewer supposed to be interested in the mild world-weariness of the Bill Murray character, some clown who's earning two million bucks for doing a few minutes' modeling work?

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Watch the online reality show Mixed Messages with a friend and enter to win a trip to NY http://www.msnmessenger-download.click-url.com/go/onm00200497ave/direct/01/