[lbo-talk] Re: Queering Palestinian Solidarity Activism

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 7 09:17:51 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Yoshie writes:

> Instead, I'll ask a more general question of how
non-Palestinian GLBT activists should participate in Palestinian solidarity activism, the question that has been scarcely addressed among Palestinian solidarity activists.

They should support it as long as they are not required to silence themselves on issues concerning homophobia.

> While I agree with OutRage! spokesman Peter Tatchell
that "[f]reedom for Palestine must be freedom for all Palestinians -- straight and gay," why carry placards that falsely allege that it is "Palestine" as such that persecutes all queers for the mere fact of their sexual identity or practice alone, while ignoring how the Israeli occupier's recruitment of collaborators reinforces homophobia?

There would be no homophobia to reinforce if it did not exist in the first place. I would advocate even a more nuanced approach to placarding, but I would then run afoul of Archer's Second Law of Demonstrating: "There will be only one issue per demonstration."

> From an Israeli human rights organization B'Tselem's
report . . . we learn that some Palestinian political organizers charge the Israeli Security Services of using isqat, which means "exerting pressure, usually through sexual means, in order to recruit collaborators."

This must be protested as well.

> "plant[ing] collaborators to have homosexual relations
with minors in detention. The latter are then threatened with exposure if they do not cooperate"

Two things must be protested: sexual coercion and a culture/ society that condemns same-sex relations.

> Homophobia is a factor in only a tiny minority of cases of
punishments of collaborators investigated by B'Tselem,

Even one case is one too many.

> Ten to 15 percent of these were killed for criminal activity,
"especially in drugs and prostitution"; and a small number were killed "because they violated the 'directives of the uprising'" or, for example, sold pornographic video films in defiance of the orders of the Islamic organizations.

More sexual imperialism. Pornography and prostitution are no crimes. To make them such is ridiculous. I think it is important to fight for sexual self-determination. Just as Palestinians have the right to determine their own state, people have to right to determine their own sexual being.

>From the list I have learned about Marx's idea of alienation
from labor. Maybe there is a corollary of alienation from desire. Isn't that just as pernicious and worthy of opposition?

> What approach, then, might GLBT activists in Palestinian
solidarity movements take?

That question is difficult since it is not clear if Palestinian solidarity movements are committed to recognizing sexual self-determination in a Palestinian state.

If they are not, should queers still support the creation of yet another incubator of queer hatred? Do we wait until the state is created and then react to the result? Or do we advocate early and forcefully for a queer-friendly Palestine?

> What is unique is that Palestinian queers are prevented
from leaving those repressive small towns and from meeting and organizing with other queers by the ever-tightening restrictions on their movement imposed by the Israeli occupation forces.

And that should be opposed. The right of asulym for queers should be acknowledged and practiced by all nations.

The problem is that Israel is not too hot on queer issues itself.

> Secondly, queer political organizations that wish
to promote debate among Palestinian solidarity activists on the question of treatment of GLBT individuals in Palestinian society should ask themselves if their own groups are not racially exclusive.

I do not know if OutRage! practices racial exclusion. Does anyone on the list know?

> Looking at the photograph of OutRage! demonstrators
that accompanies the aforementioned press release on its website, I can only conclude that the group is predominantly white and male.

Another possible conclusion is that the only members who wanted to be photographed were white and male. I know that in groups I am and have been associated with, when pictures are taken only those who are willing are photographed. Many cannot run the risk due to possible homophobic backlash in their families and communities.

To conclude that the group is primarily white and male is based on the false assumption that all OutRage! members can be photographed without fear of reprisal.

> Queering the Palestinian liberation movement has to
be based on the initiative and leadership of GLBT Palestinians themselves, though. After all, the point of all liberation movements is self-emancipation.

But the virus of homphobia is one that affects all queers. If the homophobia of the Palestinian community confined its effects to that community, then I would say "Fine. It is their problem, let them handle it." But there are people who will look to the Palestinian community and its homo- phobia and use it as justification for their own hate. Palestinians will also travel outside their community, spreading the contagion of homophobia.

It is very much in the survival interests of all queers to oppose and fight homophobia wherever it exists.

> However well-intentioned white male queer activists
may be, their actions would be effective only when they prove themselves as reliable allies of GLBT Palestinians, rather than ineptly trying to zap a multiracial interfaith demonstration for free Palestine.

What is the definition of a "reliable ally of GBLT Palestinians?"

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister