[lbo-talk] Deathbed for Bonzo

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jun 7 10:05:47 PDT 2004

At 11:22 AM 6/7/2004, Steve wrote:

>--- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
> > Earth to Carrol: we've only begun an official
> > week-long period of
> > national mourning. Reagan's death is highly
> > political, and massive
> > quantities of lies are being manufactured and
> > distributed as we
> > speak. Like it or not, lots of people are paying
> > attention.
>
>There's also the real downside of the political and
>media adulation that will bubble for some time: it's
>likely to give a popularity boost to W and the GOP.
>The bastards will wax poetically nostalgic for quite
>awhile, including at the GOP convention. W may be
>pulled into a second term on a dead man's coat tails.
>
>SteveR

I emailed Doug about the liklihood of Reagan's impending death around the time of Berg's killing. There was some gossip floating about that reporters were contacting people to update their obits. (Almost posted the gossip at the other list, too, but though it would get manties in a terrible twist! :)

This is exactly what I was worried about, too. I didn't _watch_ anything, but listened while I was working on a Web site. Man, I wanted to just puke. I got up to get some tea and did see someone commenting. He was asked about his legacy and actually said he didn't know if R could be called great but he would be called a successful president. That was as bad as any commentary got on 'mainstream' media. Fortunately, I'm listening to Amy Goodman now so I don't have to hear so much spew!

grrrrrrrrrrrumble.

I will grumble even more if Shrubya fucker gets boosted into office because of a dead prez. Not to be confused with Dead Prez--which, come to think of it, I'm going to go load that CD for some listening when WMNF's afternoon music programming starts.

Kelley