[lbo-talk] Fw: Greg Palast: Bye-Bye Ronnie Reagan -- Killer, Coward, Conman

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 8 11:11:33 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood:

> This is true. Pollsters are having trouble with
> their likely voter models because Bush's
> enemies may well be more passionate than
> Bush's supporters, and he may draw out first-
> time voters to vote against him.

This is fine, but it will take work. The mental barriers that people have to voting are very high and drastically out of proportion to the real difficulties, but they require activists to overcome them and to get people registered and to the polls. By which I mean, people literally do not know basic things like where to pick up a registration form. They have a thousand different excuses like fear of jury duty, etc., which may seem silly but which require someone to overcome. If we do not register them and do not mobilize them to actually turn out, they will not.

This is why it is so irritating for Munson to be making this argument. He is using it as justification for sitting on his ass and doing nothing to actually make it happen, as if it were all up to the Fates, and as if Missouri (where he lives) were not a swing state.

This Saturday there are mass voter registration drives in the swing states. At the Americans Coming Together website, you can search for an event near you by typing in your ZIP code:

http://www.americacomingtogether.com

It's under number "3" for "Volunteer" on the bar at the right-hand side of the website. You can also travel to a swing state or at least donate some money if you don't live in one. There's no excuse for not doing anything about this.

- - - - - John Lacny http://www.johnlacny.com

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!