[lbo-talk] Fw: Greg Palast: Bye-Bye Ronnie Reagan -- Killer, Coward, Conman

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Jun 8 21:28:42 PDT 2004

John Thornton wrote:

> I thought you lived in Kansas, not Missouri. Doesn't matter. While not
> voting is up to you and I certainly couldn't care less if you vote or
> not how can you say it doesn't matter to you? Who the President is
> doesn't have some affect on your activism, projects, or long term goals?
> The long term goals I can understand but how are your projects and
> activism not affected? Who is President does determine how some things
> in the real world are shaped. That information has to be used to
> determine specific strategies and projects unless of course you operate
> in a vacuum and don't do anything of any merit. Seems like a rather
> silly statement.

I live in Kansas, about 100 yards from the Missouri border. I also live two blocks away from the old Santa Fe and Oregon Trails.

Who the president is will affect things in the bigger world. We know the following will be likely after November.

* The president will support capitalism and will be in bed with capitalists * The U.S. will continue to have a military spread around the world * Whoever is president will continue the long tradition of U.S. military actions around the world * Most of will continue to have no healthcare * The rich will still be rich and the poor will be poor * Racism will continue to exist * The state will be just as big, just as abusive, and will continue on autopilot * Our streets will continue to be filled with thousands of violent police * Over two million people will continue to be abused and held in slavery in jails and prisons * Unions and workers will continue to have little power * Government will continue to support free speech infringment in the form of copyright and IP enforcement * Whoever is president will continue new military hardware programs and will retain the nuclear arsenal * The environment will continue to deterioate, like it has under Democratic and Republican regimes * The president will continue the system where we will be watched over, inspected, spied on, directed, legislated, regimented, closed in, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, assessed, evaluated, censored, commanded, registered, entered in a census, taxed, stamped, priced, assessed, patented, licensed, authorized, recommended, admonished, prevented, reformed, set right, corrected, subjected to tribute, trained, ransomed, exploited, monopolized, extorted, pressured, mystified, robbed; all in the name of public utility and the general good. Then, at the first sign of resistance or word of complaint, one is repressed, fined, despised, vexed, pursued, hustled, beaten up, garroted, imprisoned, shot, machine-gunned, judged, sentenced, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed, and to cap all, ridiculed, mocked, outraged and dishonored.*

Seems like the smart thing to do is to work on long term strategies that assumes little difference in who our masters are.

Chuck0

* Apologies to Proudhon