[lbo-talk] Ronnie's very timely death

DeborahSRogers debburz at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 10 06:36:21 PDT 2004

--- Doug pointed out:
> But the timing is too early, no? The Ronnie nostalgia will fade in
> week or two, and Iraq will still be a mess.

Maybe. But with some astute planning, they could also milk this thing for at least six more months, keeping the Reagan name alive forever. I think you can count on it. We know that the GOP has been trying to get everything imagineable named or renamed after Reagan: stamps, currency, buildings, infrastructure, holidays...I've even heard of adding him to Rushmore. And each time another thing is named or renamed for Reagan, there will probably be a media event and ceremony. Local GOP organizers can have a field day just invoking Reagan's name and getting local media attention for it. Think about all the libraries, schools, post offices, federal buildings, bridges, interstates, farm roads...the list goes on and on.

- Deborah