[lbo-talk] "Not another f*cking elf..."

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Thu Jun 10 07:02:43 PDT 2004

On Thursday, June 10, 2004, at 03:28 AM, Grant Lee wrote:

> And in the end it comes down to a small force, returning the evil to
> whence
> it came, with earth-shattering results.

I never read the work myself, but I always assumed that that was the basis of its appeal, especially to young folks: everyone wants to feel that their tiny selves have a secret power to change the world. Plus, a lot of people love this epic narrative genre. (Doesn't do much for me, but there's no accounting for tastes.)

(My only contact with the masterpiece: I rented the DVD of the first film and quit in boredom after about 15 minutes.)

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)