[lbo-talk] "Not another f*cking elf..."

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 10 00:28:45 PDT 2004

...was the supposed exclamation of the poet and WW1 veteran Hugo Dyson, when Tolkein was reading drafts of LotR to his friends.

Which was pretty much my feeling about the books, but I did enjoy the recent adaptations.

The historian in me wants to read the story as a jumbled-up, dualistic and tendentious WW2 analogy: the pluralists of Middle Earth unite against ultra-authoritarian primitive accumulation, aided by ruthless military-industrialism --- seen in the mass produced, unthinking orcs.

And in the end it comes down to a small force, returning the evil to whence it came, with earth-shattering results.