[lbo-talk] Ronnie's very timely death

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jun 10 09:31:13 PDT 2004

At 11:57 AM 6/10/2004, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>

>>On Thursday, June 10, 2004, at 10:44 AM, snit snat wrote:
>>
>>>The question is: will Scowcroft, Baker, and the rest actually _do_
>>>something so the Republican party will lose this fall? They may not have
>>>any commitment to the neocons, but they probably will put the party
>>>above all that because, after all, it's about winning. Keeping the
>>>nation's political discourse oriented to the right is the goal.
>>
>>i don't know. those guys take the long view. and W was the establishment
>>candidate who is getting out of control of the establishment. it doesn't
>>help them to lose control of the party, and it may make more sense for
>>them and the party -- in the long run -- to demonstrate that they are the
>>kingmakers. presuming, of course, that they still are. their time may be
>>done, or close to it.
>>
>>they may not torpedo him, but they may not lift their fingers to help
>>him. i'll be interested to watch this dynamic play itself out.
>
>Yeah. This sorta stuff matters for turnout, buzz, media support,
>off-the-record chats, etc.
>
>Doug

speaking of which: i was once again listening to the spectacle on MSNBC or that other NBC news channel.

Was it just me, or did everyone else feel like every damned commentator went on and on about how great RR was, how he put the u.s. back in the saddle again, how it was great to be reminded that the america bashers are the problem, blah blah blah, and how Shrub is carrying RR's legacy. Oh! and how we couldn't have done what we did recently if it weren't for good ol' RR, cause had we had the wimpy ass Democrats in charge, this country would be mired in America-hating, commie ass-licking mode and would hav e let terrorists walk all over us, like Carter did. Ronnie, he changed all that by gum.

strap on the puke pail, indeed. If the media is being encouraged to give less support to Shrub, I didn't see it. All I saw was a constant effort, supported by the freakin' liberalist of liberal media, to make a constant connection between RR and Bush.

Kelley

"We're in a fucking stagmire."

--Little Carmine, 'The Sopranos'