[lbo-talk] Fw: Greg Palast: Bye-Bye Ronnie Reagan and Hobbit references

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Jun 10 09:37:57 PDT 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, budge wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 at 11:28am Miles Jackson wrote:
> >
> > Hmm. I consider LOTR one of the most important works of
> > fiction in the 20th century. It's not just a goofy
> > dungeons and dragons knockoff; it's really more of an epic
> > poem.
>
> well this is a matter of taste and i've already made clear i
> don't share that opinion. however, what you said earlier to
> doug comparing it to the bible is quite wrong. i'm willing
> to bet that the percentage of people in the US that have
> read *any* of LOTR is pretty small, like less tahn 10%.

No, you're miscontruing my point. I'm not claiming that LOTR is influential, like the Bible; I'm arguing that LOTR reflects many important values and beliefs in our society. --If I wanted an alien to understand the culture of our society, it's one of the books I'd make her/it/him read. The Bible is another one.

Miles