[lbo-talk] LBO List a Dark Corner on the Internet?

Sunil/Dissident Voice dissidentvoice at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 10 16:44:09 PDT 2004

Reagan was the arch-villain for New York liberals, but they aren't now lining up to dance on his grave. For Ben Smith it is a sign of the times. The Guardian; June 9, 2004 http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1235952,00.html

Excerpt: When Reagan died on Saturday, I half expected to see my old neighbors dancing in the streets, singing "Ding, Dong the Witch is Dead." But the mood was simply quiet. New York has been an oasis of normality amid the national ritual of grief - Mayor Michael Bloomberg's government, unlike the federal and even New York State governments will be open for business on Friday. The Young Republicans expect their vigil in Bryant Park to attract just a few dozen mourners. And on the other side, there's little anger left. Anti-Reagan slurs are confined to dark corners of the internet. The publications West Siders write for, such as Newsweek and Time and the New York Times, were plastered with respectful obituaries, and only respectful notes of dissent.

[Call me a goth then. -- Sunil]