[lbo-talk] LBO List a Dark Corner on the Internet?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Jun 10 21:18:45 PDT 2004

Sunil/Dissident Voice wrote:

> Reagan was the arch-villain for New York liberals, but they aren't now
> lining up to dance on his grave.
> For Ben Smith it is a sign of the times.
> The Guardian; June 9, 2004
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1235952,00.html
>
> Excerpt: When Reagan died on Saturday, I half expected to see my old
> neighbors dancing in the streets, singing "Ding, Dong the Witch is
> Dead." But the mood was simply quiet. New York has been an oasis of
> normality amid the national ritual of grief - Mayor Michael Bloomberg's
> government, unlike the federal and even New York State governments will
> be open for business on Friday. The Young Republicans expect their vigil
> in Bryant Park to attract just a few dozen mourners. And on the other
> side, there's little anger left. Anti-Reagan slurs are confined to dark
> corners of the internet. The publications West Siders write for, such as
> Newsweek and Time and the New York Times, were plastered with respectful
> obituaries, and only respectful notes of dissent.

Isn't the British press supposed to be better than the American version? Did this reporter do any actual research or did he just pull this nonsense out of his chips? I know about numerous "Reagan is Dead" parties that were held last weekend bu people who don't know the URL to the "dark side of the Internet."

Chuck0