[lbo-talk] Re: Death in the USSR

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 06:44:59 PDT 2004

I asked! That was quick.

Alexander Kondorsky <... at mail.ru> wrote:From: "Alexander Kondorsky" To: "Chris Doss" Subject: Re: Hi sasha Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:40:05 +0400

Well, I must confess I felt really and sincerely mournfull when Brezhnev died. I believe I was sort of typical in that. Of course, I did not cry but there was a definite feeling of a loss. I did not really like Brezhnev, laughted to jokes about him, but I believed he was sort of guarantor of peace, stability and confidence in the future. Yes, there was a week or so of nationwide mourning but I would not call it a blowjob. TV and radio broadcast mostly classical music and movie theaters showed historical movies. Entertainment programs were canceled. But there was no outright praise of Brezhnev in the media and of course people were not obliged to wear black clothes on the streets :-))

Have a nice weekend! ----- Original Message ----- From: Chris Doss To: Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 5:24 PM Subject: Hi sasha

Hi Sasha!

(This is my new email address.)

A friend of mine in the States has a question about how what it was like when Leonid Ilich died (question below). (The context is that the US media have been engaged in a non-stop blowjob of Reagan's corpse for several days now.) Could you say anything on the subject? Spasibo tebe ogromnoye!

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote: Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:06:50 -0400 To: lbo-talk From: Doug Henwood Subject: [lbo-talk] death in the USSR

Chris Dos - or anyone with some knowledge of this - could you ask some Soviet old-timers what it was like when Brezhnev died? Was there a week of force-fed mourning and hysterical canonization in every newspaper and broadcast outlet? Or are our nominally "private" and "free" media doing better work than the state media in a one-party state ever did?