[lbo-talk] Ronnie's very timely death

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Jun 11 08:03:19 PDT 2004

On Friday, June 11, 2004, at 09:13 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> But, as Rick Perlstein pointed out on my radio show yesterday, the
> myth of Reagan's popularity is a successful creation of that vast
> right-wing conspiracy. His approval ratings were virtually identical
> to Clinton's. Lots of people hated him. Don't concede his vast
> popularity - it's a lie.

Statistically, Rick and you are quite correct. But the atmosphere of those years was rather different. The whole atmosphere, as I remember it, was chilling -- almost "1984"ish. The little viewscreens on the walls of everyone's dwellings, in my recollection, at least, were constantly filled with that map-of-Ireland face, the twinkle in the eye, the comforting smile. Whatever misgivings anyone had about him, they felt compelled to keep to themselves.

I think it may have been an emotional binge in reaction to Vietnam and Watergate -- Ford was not at all inspirational, and Carter, to most Americans, was a real downer, with his sweater and lowered thermostat, his prissy "lust in my heart" anti-sex vibe, and his wussy failure to bomb the shit out of Iran in retaliation for the hostage taking. Finally, there was a Real Man (or someone who had played one in the movies) to take over at the helm of the nation.

One of the enduring problems with American politics is that the segment of the population that hungers for this red meat stuff, while not necessarily a numerical majority, is not afraid or ashamed to bellow out their emotional insides at maximum volume, while we more intellectual, cultured, thoughtful, tolerant, wussy leftists are so reluctant to be impolite. In fact, the more the red meat faction hollers, the more superior we feel about our civilized reticence. Air America and Moore are a couple of first steps in moving in a different direction, but many of us wusses greatly fear that they are trafficking a bit too much in vulgarity. (Dear me, aren't those Franken and Moore gentlemen a bit too reckless? Oh, hold my hand, I feel some palpitations coming on! Be a good fellow and turn on that NPR station for me, I need soothing.)

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)