[lbo-talk] Biblical Literalism

DeborahSRogers debburz at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 15 10:48:22 PDT 2004

ChuckO wrote:
> My favorite part about biblical literalism is the part about making
>
> menstruating women live in separate tents.

Well, exactly, and when one confronts a fundie with the infamous Leviticus rant, they'll invariably respond with something to the effect that you're "not reading it right."

Jeff's comments and the comments re what these people are practicing as more a form of a pop version of the religion are on target, and it makes me wonder, can a rise in this "pop" form be attributed to or coincide with the "born again" movement we saw take off like gangbusters beginning in the late 70's? I mean, it's been around for a bit, but it really grew legs in the mid to late 70's.

- D

===== " How come people always flip and think they're Jesus? Why not Buddha? Particularly in America, where more people resemble Buddha than Jesus. 'Ah'm BUDDHA!' 'You're Bubba!' 'Ah'm Buddha now..All I gotta do is change 3 letters on ma belt...' " - Bill Hicks