[lbo-talk] Re: Bush & his God

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 16 05:06:27 PDT 2004

>From: "B." <docile_body at yahoo.com>
>
>Coincidentally, I was browsing through the Heretic's
>Handbook of Quotations last night and I found these
>two gems:
>
>"One of the strangest delusions of the Western mind is
>to the effect that a philosophy of profound wisdom is
>on tap in the East. I have read a great many
>expositions of it, some by native sages and the rest
>by Western enthusiasts, but I have found nothing in it
>save nonsense. It is fundamentally a moony
>transcendentalism almost as absurd as that of Emerson,
>Alcott and company. It bears no sort of relation to
>the known facts ....

It bears no relation, in other words, to the facts H. L. Mencken knew. Ah, Mencken, Mencken, Mencken -- there are times H. L. is as refreshing as a stiff breeze and times he is as stifling as an airless room.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/