[lbo-talk] Re: Bush & his God

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Wed Jun 16 08:05:19 PDT 2004

On Wednesday, June 16, 2004, at 08:06 AM, Carl Remick wrote:

> It bears no relation, in other words, to the facts H. L. Mencken knew.
> Ah, Mencken, Mencken, Mencken -- there are times H. L. is as
> refreshing as a stiff breeze and times he is as stifling as an airless
> room.

He was a fascinating combination of "the common man" and the anti-"common man." At times, he was proud of his superior sophistication to the boobs around him, but at others, he could out-common the most ordinary of them.

On philosophical topics, he could be perceptive about Nietzsche, for example, but on philosophy of religion he was not so hot. If philosophy were that simple, we wouldn't need professional philosophers or postgraduate philosophy departments, would we? It would be like "Home Neurosurgery for Fun and Profit": "Heck, what's all the fuss about? Just saw the guy's skull open and hack that old tumor out of there."

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)