[lbo-talk] W's D-Day set cost $100k of public money

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Wed Jun 16 07:12:02 PDT 2004

Eisenhower said he would return to Korea. He did. Landed at Kimpo Air Base (called K-14) and shook some hands and got back in his plane and took off again. (Maybe that's not precisely how it happened - I wasn't invited to the event, but that's how I remember the anecdotes regarding it.)

The Army engineer company that I was a member of had replaced the entire runway and apron of K-14 for him to land on and when he left they tore it up and replaced it a second time. It had been paved incorrectly, in the rain, in order to accommodate the scheduled visit.

Occurrences like that helped me to form my opinions about what's 'conservative' and what isn't.

Martin