[lbo-talk] Cost of living in Moscow

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 16 08:46:54 PDT 2004

Over the last week, some agency/organization estimatee that Moscow is the third most expensive city in the world for expatriates to live. Indeed, it is not cheap here.

But, after waiting for over a year, my electric bill finally arrived. I knew my utility Mosenerago (at the center of a war between the monopoly UES and Mayor Luzhkov), would start direct billing.

My Russian wife simply didn't understand, she has never heard of any individual being required to pay for electricity.

Our flat has the following: the usual kitchen stuff that takes up energy. Plus, four computers, a printer, two televisions, radios, and the other usual stuff, washer-dyer, clocks. We also have to leave a light on during the night so the cat won't attack our two dogs.

Sum total for electricity use for the past 12 months: $96.

This is part of Putin's reforms -- and a lot of people are really upset!