[lbo-talk] Drudge: GOP to force gay marriage vote just before Dem convention

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jun 16 10:57:16 PDT 2004

Drudge Report June 15, 2004 http://drudgereport.com/

GOP Planning July Vote on Gay Marriage Amendment

The Senate Republican leadership is aiming for a mid-July vote on a constitutional amendment that would ban gay marriage, forcing Democrats to take a stand on the controversial topic just before the party heads to Boston for its presidential nominating convention.

Mark Preston at ROLL CALL reports: Republican Conference Chairman Rick Santorum (Pa.) said the GOP leaders are not yet prepared to make an official announcement on a specific date, but confirmed that they are scouting for a July vote.

"We are sort of running the traps on this right now, and sort of seeing what kind of response we are getting," Santorum said following Tuesday's Republican policy lunch. "We are talking about it. I think there are a couple of meetings to be had yet before any official announcement is made."

Developing...