[lbo-talk] V Crisis Attacks Greg Wilpert, Etc.

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 16 14:33:54 PDT 2004

At 11:43 AM 6/16/2004, you wrote:
>I don't your point here. Is what's potentially actionable that the names
>listed aren't really on the disclosure forms? That they are on the
>disclosure forms but it's indecent to circulate the info? That you support
>British libel law, under which people can be held liable for circulating
>accurate information?
>
>Doug

A decade ago I asked Bill Sennett, who fought the fascists in Spain and led the Illinois CP later, about the Rosenbergs, as I saw he had many of the books on the case. (And a great Ralph Fasanella painting in the living room) He said, of coarse, Julius was "guilty, " as did James Weinstein, who met Julius once in the 40's. Victor Rabinowitz, after the contro over the Radosh-Milton book, admitted that he thought Julius was guilty too. But, it was inconvenient to admit so. Unity, yada, yada.

I had occasion yesterday to re-read a bit of the Monthly Review pieces on Popular Unity, Allende and the coup of 9-11-73, collected in, "Revolution and Counter-Revolution In Chile." The very high level of analysis (and in places like the Trot Usec journal, International Viewpoint http://www.3bh.org.uk/IV/ ) has not been reached by any of the agit-prop I've seen on Venezuela from the USA Left. (And, the middling level of analysis, which ducks the hard questions about the whiff of populist demogogy from Chavez, only opens the door to the Rightists to counter w/ websites liike V Crisis. Which looks far from say El Mercurio in Chile or The Daily Gleaner of Jamaica, on first glance.)

Even the documentary from a pair of Irish filmakers , http://www.chavezthefilm.com/index_ex.htm (if I can figure out how to send the apple file w/ the complete film on my hard drive, I'd be happy to send offlist) which I found moving and enlightening, in the style of the classic, "The Battle of Chile, " about what Charles calls Bolivarian Bolshevism, has some questionable tactics, as noted in the CJR recently.

Michael Pugliese