[lbo-talk] Bush defends religion's role in his politics

DeborahSRogers debburz at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 16 18:19:58 PDT 2004

(Apologies if this was previously posted.)

Bush defends religion's role in his politics By BENNETT ROTH Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON -- Responding to veiled criticism from former President Reagan's son, President Bush on Tuesday defended his respect for separation of church and state.

At his father's funeral last week, Ron Reagan Jr. said President Reagan, though religious, never wore his faith on his sleeve "for political advantage" -- a remark many thought was aimed at Bush.

When asked about Reagan's comment during a news conference, Bush quoted from scripture to explain the role he believes religion should play in public life.

"I've always said I think it is very important for someone not to try to take the speck out of somebody else's eye when they may have a log of their own," Bush said, referring to a passage from the Gospel of St. Matthew. "In other words, I'm very mindful about saying, you know, vote for me, I'm more religious than my neighbor."

The president added, "I think it is very important for people of religion to serve. I think it is very important for people who are serving to make sure there is a separation of church and state."

Many believe Ron Reagan's remarks targeted Bush's opposition to expanding stem-cell research that could lead to cures for diseases like Alzheimer's, from which his father suffered.

Conservative religious groups have aggressively lobbied the White House against expanding stem cell research.

===== " How come people always flip and think they're Jesus? Why not Buddha? Particularly in America, where more people resemble Buddha than Jesus. 'Ah'm BUDDHA!' 'You're Bubba!' 'Ah'm Buddha now..All I gotta do is change 3 letters on ma belt...' " - Bill Hicks